What is TMD/TMJ? – Topeka, KS
Helping You Find Relief from Face & Jaw Pain
TMD, which stands for temporomandibular joint dysfunction, is a condition that impacts the two joints that hinge your mandibular bone to your skull. They allow you to effortlessly chew, speak, and laugh, but whenever they’re not working correctly or are forced to sustain additional force or tension, it could make daily life difficult. Dr. Michel and our team offer custom-tailored oral appliances to help take the burden off of your temporomandibular joints and enhance their function.
Why Choose Sleep Solutions by Michel Dental for TMJ/TMD Treatment?
- Advanced Diagnostic BioResearch Technology
- Skilled & Compassionate Dental Team
- Customized Oral Appliances for TMD Therapy
What Causes TMJ Dysfunction/TMD?
TMJ dysfunction can develop as a result of several different underlying issues, including:
- A physical injury that damaged or affected your jaw or facial muscles.
- Arthritis, or inflammation surrounding the temporomandibular joints and other connective tissues.
- Grinding and clenching of the teeth (bruxism) that has placed additional force on your jaw joints.
- Dental infections that have had an opportunity to spread.
It has been observed that men are diagnosed with TMJ disorder at a higher rate than women, so this is also a risk-factor to be mindful of.
What are Common TMD Symptoms?
Some of the most common signs of TMJ dysfunction that our patients experience include:
- Teeth grinding and clenching at night (called bruxism)
- Clicking and popping sounds when you open and close your mouth
- Muscle pain that can be felt in the cheeks and neck
- Chronic migraines and headaches
- Pain radiating from your jaw joints
- Swelling on either side of the face
- Hearing difficulty or ringing ears (tinnitus)
- Grating sound when you open or close your mouth
- General jaw tenderness or pain
- Hearing problems
- An uncomfortable bite
If you notice one or more of these symptoms and are concerned that you have TMJ dysfunction, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our team to schedule a consultation today.